Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Lost and Found

There is a delightful networking site 'odnoklasniki.ru' which is the Russian version of 'classmates.com'. After years of refusing to join any networking sites because 'emailing was sufficient', I caved in and joined facebook. It was fun for about a month and then facebook joined email-overstimulating, overwhelming, let-me-check-it-later kind of activity.

Then I met an acquaintance at a grocery store and he told me that odnoklasniki is the best site to reconnect with my Russian speaking American friends. 'We are all on it" were his words. And "facebook is a waste of time'.

So about a month later, while I was trying to prioritize all the chores that had to be done before I went to bed, I decided to check out odnoklasniki ( read: all chores can wait another day- what's a day compared to eternity?).

And there, together with my lost American friends, I found my best friend from elementary school with whom I lost touch over 10 years ago. I saw her picture where she looked pretty much the way I remembered her- just shorter hair and a bit more mature look. And, to make things so much more exciting for me, she lives in Manchester, England, i.e. she reads and speaks English!!!

I also got a chance to say hi to a couple of my classmates with whom I didn't have much to do since I left. Still, it was fun. And as far as my lost friend, she's found now. And we are trying to exchange 20 years worth of stories in small email installments.

3 comments:

Ookamikun said...

Same as classmates.com?! Excuse me?! Classmates.com is not free and is pretty crappy and so is reunion.com. The interface on odnoklassniki is pretty bad and it's very slow a lot, but, everyone's there and it's easy to reconnect with people.
Btw, if you haven't noticed, friends of friends is in reverse chronological order of when they were added to your friends' lists.

Sally Hazel said...

lol. Count on your to pick up on these details. I'll go and check... Also, I've been trying to find a picture of me with 'hair' but no normal pictures seem to be readily available. The ones that I found are even more strange than the one that's there now...

Ookamikun said...

wife found out big sale on sheitels at shevy or something like that. wanna come with?