Friday, November 28, 2008

Murders in Mumbai

On my way home from work I spoke to one of my friends who started the conversation with 'terrible happenings in India'. Though it sounded like a general statement, something made me cut the conversation short and tune in to Fox News. The very first thing I heard on the news was that there were no survivors in the Chabad House. The glimmer of hope that intensified since the miraculous rescue of Moshe Holtzberg was gone.

I cried all the way home. I cried while I shopped and while I cooked. This terrorist attack seems more personal, my reaction more visceral. Maybe because Rabbi and Rivka Hotzberg, Hy'd were so young. Maybe because they were selfless people just serving the community. Or maybe because I hoped like many others that in the end they'd survive. I don't know. I'm sad. I'm angry.I mourn for them and other who perished in Mumbai. May Hashem avenge their deaths.

And, as my friend Esther said, today we are all Chabad.

No comments: