Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Jerusalem today

On my way to work today, I heard that there was a terrorist act in Jerusalem. I said a little prayer for the dead and the wounded, got angry that the terrorist was counted with the dead, and quickly forgot about it (since I came to work very late and had lots of catching up to do).

Then, thanks to all the TVs that beg me to watch them on every unit, while I was on my way to do some routine assessment, I saw some Israeli guy talking on Fox news and I realized it was about earlier events in Jerusalem. He described the event in all its brutal detail -where the terrorist galantly let a female driver go ahead of him only to plow her seconds later, that one of the dead was a woman who managed to throw her infant out of the car before she was crushed. He appealed to the people of the world to try to imagine what the Israelis have to live through every day- that this attack is equivalent of a madman plowing through crowds on 5th Avenue, or on champs elysees...while the footage of the Israeli soldier shotting the terrorist was displayed in the background.

I felt tears welling in my eyes. I had a hard time concentrating on my work for the next few minutes. The general public (to whom the Israeli on TV appealed) around me seemed to be going about their business as usual. One kind man asked me if I was ok but when I explained what happened, he for some reason couldn't find words of comfort for me.

שהם give peace to Israel and ישוע to the the whole klal.