Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Welcome to our block

For a while now I've been tempted to write a 'welcome to our block' series. Yet, I must contain myself as one of my neighbors occasionally reads this stuff. And since this post is quite benign, I decided to go for it.

B'H I live on this block for close to 2.5 years. There is a family man who lives a couple of houses down from me whose voice I haven't heard in all this time. He first left an impression on me when a couple of years ago, my car got stuck on the ice and this gentleman walked right by, got into his car, and happily drove off.

Well today I was coming home from a store, happily chatting with my kids while pushing their double stroller. I was about to cross the street when this gentleman pulled his car up right in front of us. I tried to move forward. He did the same. I politely stopped, waiving for him to go ahead. He stopped also, for some unknown reason parking at a hydrant quite a distance from his house). Since he didn't shut off the ignition, I felt compelled to tell him "we are crossing the street," in case he chose to start driving as soon as I stepped down on the street.

The man shocked me when he answered "good luck". I told him that we'll do our best and giggled at our first conversation. Only when I was walking up my stairs did I notice his wife pulling out of their driveway. The gentleman, it seems, politely gave her room to maneuver her vehicle.

This incident may be enlightening regarding his kids' affinity to stare. Though, as always, it may just be my overactive imagination at work.

15 comments:

La Poutine Cachere said...

The Staring family returns! Brilliant! :p

Barb Chansky said...

You did not tell me that was the "ice dude"; now it sort of clicks together.

LPC, did my methods work, or are you too much of a lady to try?:)

Ookamikun said...

Should've replied "And then we're going home."

La Poutine Cachere said...

Barb, so far I've remained tru to my Canadian/Yekkish nature. But I'm thinking that by about mid-point through the summer, it'll be time to start blaring some Korn or whatever bits of goth rock I've got remaining in my CD collection. :0

Ookamikun said...

Check out Bond on youtube.

SubWife said...

oy again the neighbors. my hands are itching to write a post of my own after you and LPC posted their stories. But after I had vented to a co-worker, something happened that made me think that this is G-d's way of saying "thou shalt not blog re: thy neighbors."

Sally Hazel said...

Sorry, I've been neglecting my blog a bit...Anyhow,

LPC- this is The Staring family's Staring neighbors:)

Moshe - today hubby and I tried a 'hello' as The Neighbor passed by. He just stared back. I'm beginning to think it's because I was around...

Subwife - are you becoming superstitious?

SubWife said...

Well, the incident i wanted to blog about involved our kids doing something dangerous. I vented to my co-worker about the neighbor's reaction to this, and the very next day my son had outdone his previous attempt at facing the danger. So that made me think that maybe I shouldn't badmouth the neighbors. Even though no one on my blog reads it. And those who read it mostly don't know who I am or where I live.

Does that make me superstitious?

SubWife said...

I meant to say " no one on my block reads my blog". tired

Ookamikun said...

Subs, PM the incidents!

Sally, should've said "Well hello there sexy." ;-)
Or, for even more fun, have your husband say that.

SubWife said...

Moshe, LOL! Oh how much I wish that there would be no repercussions for certain things, like you are entitled to one silliness like this a month, without any consequences.

Sally Hazel said...

As LOZ pointed out a few posts ago, you NEVER know who may read your blog. On the other hand, blogging is one of the freedoms that we can enjoy...

Subwife -I don't know enough about your story but the whole thing does smell of superstition a bit ( or correlation=causation, if you will).

Moshe - actually, after hubby said 'hello', kids followed it up with loud 'hi's...Who knows, maybe the man things we are teasing him?

still waiting said...

your neighbor approves of your block rant

La Poutine Cachere said...

"Staring Family's Staring Neighbours"? O.M.G.

Ookamikun said...

Your staring neighbors have staring neighbors? They should have a staring contest!